About Van der Sluys Projects
It all began back in 1948 when founder Jan van der Sluys, his wife, Ria and four children emigrated from The Netherlands to South Africa on board the Sibajak in search of new opportunities and a brighter future for their family. Jan van der Sluys was determined to succeed first as carpenter and later as building contractor. He bought a bicycle and cycled from Paarl as far afield as Helshoogte and Franschhoek to find work. Jan turned his innate skill and passion to what he knew best and in a few short years had laid the foundation of a thriving building business. From the outset, Jan was driven by a single purpose: to set the highest standards of craftsmanship and service within the industry. The business flourished and in 1960 Jan formed a limited company, J van der Sluys (Pty) Ltd.
Jan van der Sluys’ oldest son, Hans, joined the company in January 1963. In 1972 the company bought premises in Paarl’s new industrial node in Dal Josaphat, and by 1976, the company officially moved its offices and yard from the Ben Bernard Estate to its present–day premises in Dal Josaphat.
Jan van der Sluys was an astute businessman with a passion for serving the building industry. He was one of the founding members of the MBA Boland in 1949. He had an enduring passion for training and the development of skills within his company and the building industry as a whole. He was also a member of the Industrial Council for the Building Industry. Jan van der Sluys retired in 1978. His conservative approach to business and cautious approach to risk taking lay the foundation for a dynamic construction company. Jan van der Sluys passed away in 1992, at the age of 83.
When Jan van der Sluys retired, he left his sons Hans, Alex and Rinus in charge of the company, with his eldest son Hans as chairman of the board of directors. Alex had joined in 1973 and Rinus two years later. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, J van der Sluys (Pty) Ltd remained what was essentially a family business. J van der Sluys (Pty) Ltd's investment in training and safety began to pay dividends and in the 1980s the company began to receive the first of many safety awards.
By 1999, a separate property development company, Van der Sluys Projects, was founded by Alex van der Sluys, who resigned from the construction company to devote his time to the new company. He was followed by Hans van der Sluys and AAT Reyneke.